The Deployment Diary

Friday, January 06, 2006

A New Year, a New Direction

and a new blog.

I've decided not to continue The Deployment Diary. My hope is, in the coming year, I won't need to come back to it. That all depends on the Army of course and the decisions husband makes later on in 2006. If he deploys, I'll be back writing about the deployment and all that entails. If he decides to retire, he'll drop his retirement paperwork in the ending months of 2006 and retire in 2007. If he decides to stay in, he'll start looking for a job at a few of the posts we'd be interested in moving to and hopefully retire in 2010. He's on the fence right now and since he's locked into this job for another two years, he has plenty of time to weigh his options.

As for Me...
I've been on my own fence of sorts, weighing options and ideas. For several months I've been considering redoing a website I used to have and get back to doing something that I used to enjoy.

Last month though, Sue at Turning 30 and a half wrote about a yearly writing challenge known as NaNoWriMo. The challenge is, between November 1st through November 30th, participants write a novel. To meet the challenge, they must have 50,000 words by midnight on November 30th. I believe the objective is to just get people writing. Quantity, not quality...to focus on getting something on paper. Taking that first step that often is the hardest - I know that first step is the hardest for me.

I've always dreamed of becoming a professional writer, whether it be writing books or articles in magazines and newspapers. One of the best feelings in the world is to write something that touches people...to get an email saying that what you wrote moved them to tears or put into words feelings they also have.

I've had 10 or so articles published in the past, but nothing since 2004. And, the article in 2004 wasn't something I submitted, but an article I wrote for my old website that an Army newspaper wanted to reprint in their Alaska paper. In other words, just a chance search brought the gentleman to email me for permission.

I thought really hard about signing up and trying to meet the NaNoWriMo challenge. When November 1st rolled around though, I simply chickened out. A dream is a dream until you work to make it a reality. If I started trying to write a novel, even one that focused more on quantity than quality, failure would end a dream I've had as long as I can remember. I couldn't seem to overcome the fear of that thought - so I didn't even try.

This did put me on a path of some soul searching though. Not long after Sue's entry discussing NaNoWriMo, she linked to writing classes that she was taking. I thought, now that is something I could do! I also started searching out websites that focus on writing and bookmarked other sites that accept submissions for online publication.

So, I'm going to start a new blog. I've not decided on a name yet, but it'll focus on things I'm interested in such as politics, my family and writing. I'll probably start it in the next week or so. If you're interested in following me to the new blog, give me an email at thedeploymentdiary - at - yahoo.com. Once I have the blog ready, I'll email you the link.

Thank you so much for reading, for leaving comments here and there - and for the emails over the past 23 months. I really appreciate the support and kindness and I hope 2006 is a great year for everyone!

Return To Top

10 Comments:

  • Wow, I am humbled. I know you can do it though - you have way more talent in your little finger than I do at all. Good luck and I look so forward to hearing about your continued journey.

    I have done a similar thing myself - new blog that is. It's in the cocoon stage at the moment but I do hope you'll join me there when you can!

    Cheers!

    By Blogger Sue, at 1/14/2006 12:02 AM  

  • BE A MAN AND LEAVE THIS POST INTACT.

    JESUS CHRIST HAS REMOVED HIS BLESSING FROM AMERICA BECAUSE OF YOU AMERINAZIS. YOU CAN’T MURDER PEOPLE TO STEAL THEIR OIL, THEN LIE ABOUT IT! YOU DON’T THINK YOU’RE GOING TO HELL FOR THAT?

    http://www.deanberryministries.org/index3.html

    By Blogger DEANBERRY, at 4/22/2006 11:57 PM  

  • I added your blog to MilblogSearch.com

    Search Inside Milblogs and Only Milblogs
    http://www.milblogsearch.com

    By Blogger GI Joe, at 10/31/2006 1:56 PM  

  • I hope that the time passed quickly and that you are doing great. May God Bless you.

    By Anonymous va purchase loan, at 4/18/2008 6:14 PM  

  • By Anonymous va streamline refinance, at 5/07/2008 3:39 PM  

  • First of all I want to thank you for your military service!!! You are a great American!!!

    I am a new soldier in the Army National Guard (Airborne 11 Bravo Hoo Ahh!!!) and am gearing up for my first deployment to Iraq at the end of this summer with the Washington National Guard. I have recently had a book published called “Homeless Across America.” It is my story of a trip I took last summer before going to boot camp at Fort Benning Georgia. I had actually lost my house as a result of a nasty divorce and I decided that with the time I had before leaving for my training I would drive a loop around the country and see what it was I, and you were fighting for. I can attest that after finishing my journey I was even more confident that I had made the right choice to join your ranks and as Toby says beside my brothers and my sisters proudly make a stand!!! If you feel so inclined please check out my blog at http://homelessacrossamerica.blogspot.com/ Again, thank you for your service and thank you for going before me. May God bless you and God Bless America!!!!!

    By Anonymous kevin, at 5/22/2008 2:40 PM  

  • Follow your dreams! Write Write Write... you've got talent! Build on it :)

    By Blogger Complicated Mama, at 1/23/2009 3:03 PM  

  • Hello! Was wondering when more men will not be deployed to Iraq since the attention seems to be on Iraq? Sincerely; George ,www.FBNRadio.com or www.Unshackled.org or www.FellowshipTractLeague.com

    By Blogger George, at 11/19/2009 9:05 AM  

  • Diversity helps to make an effective deployment of talent . It is probed that organizations that take account of the diversity of their staffing are seeing an increase in productivity and involvement along with a reduction in absence and undesirable loss of personnel.

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 12/28/2009 8:19 AM  

  • By Blogger wsxwhx693, at 4/23/2010 1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home