The Deployment Diary

Friday, November 11, 2005

Veterans Day...

I drove up to the installation today to do some running around. On the interstate, some folks were on an overpass with American flags and pro-veterans signs. I honked as I went under and they waved...

Just like the last time I saw folks stand on the overpass with flags, it made me want to cry. It's always such a good feeling to see people supporting veterans, our military and our country.

My family has numerous veterans in it. My Grandfather was in the Navy during WWII at Guadalcanal. An uncle served 27 years in the Army and was in the Korean War. My Father was in the Air Force and was in Vietnam during Tet. My husband - well, you know all that.

Years ago, my father sent me some photos of his time in Vietnam. For a daughter who never even knew her father served, much less was in Vietnam during Tet until she was 16 - seeing photos really hit home. These weren't just any photos. These were of a C-130 that had been shot to hell and back during Tet.

Well, before my desktop died back in August, my zip drive in that computer died two years before that lol. The photos my Dad sent were of course stored on a zip disk. Dad came to visit back in August while husband was gone for training. He brought a memory stick for me that had a ton of photos on it, including the Vietnam photos. I thought for Veteran's Day - and as a tribute to my Father, I'd post them here.


This one is the front end of a C-130 that was shot up during Tet. My Dad said they were the best pilots in the world. Anyone else would have never gotten it home...


Here's the same plane. I'm pretty sure he told me that it'd caught fire too...

Just so hard to believe that anyone lived through that kind of damage, much less flew it back to Cam Rahn Bay.

Happy Veteran's Day to all our veterans, but especially to my Dad and my husband. My two most favorite people in the world.

Return To Top

4 Comments:

  • Amazing pictures - thank you for sharing!

    By Blogger Sue, at 11/11/2005 4:53 PM  

  • Hi!! Read a few of your post and really enjoyed them. I am a military spouse too!! Just curius is your husband still deployed?

    By Blogger Army Wife, at 11/21/2005 11:16 AM  

  • Thanks Sue!

    Hi Army wife and welcome! We're gearing up for his second tour in Iraq. They've already rail-headed and their equipment is on its way. Now, we're just waiting to hear the exact day they will be boots in the air :(.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 11/22/2005 11:57 AM  

  • Hon for you I hope it is after the holidays. Mine has been gone almost two months. The time is going fast and slow all at the same time. Hard to explain!! I appreciate your comment!
    Sandy

    By Blogger Army Wife, at 11/22/2005 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home