The Deployment Diary

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Riots in France

It seems that every blog has put in their two cents concerning France's big problems with rioting. So, to keep from repeating what better bloggers have already written, I'll keep this short.

The most interesting debate I've read concerns whether the riots are an intifada. There are an abundance of links that support that theory in this entry on Iris Blog: Evidence the "Paris Riots" Are Actually the "French Intifada".

I found this article to be quite amusing: Hurt pride shows as France sees world report riots. Personally, although I am sorry France is facing such unrest, I do think it's high time the French got a taste of their own medicine. Having to read other countries' opinions of THEIR country and how THEIR government is handling (or not handling) a crisis is just what the doctor ordered.

My only thought on this concerns the riots escalating. For the past day or so, I keep expecting to turn on the news and see reports about a bomb going off on a bus or a suicide bomber walking into a cafe and killing innocent French citizens. I worry that eventually burning cars and buildings will get old to these nuts and they will escalate the situation. France has never had any empathy for the Israelis and I'm afraid that soon, they too will know what it is like to live in fear of being murdered on their way to work by a fanatic with a bomb strapped to their chest. I hope I'm wrong, but if the French government doesn't put a stop to this mess and soon, things are only going to get worse...

Return To Top

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home