The Deployment Diary

Monday, September 26, 2005

Waiting For My Order to Arrive...

Well, for the first time, I ordered some things from Amazon.com last week. I'm hoping the items will arrive today or tomorrow.

I was channel surfing one day last week and ran across Oprah. I've never been big on talk shows, so I rarely ever watch them. Once in a while Montel will have something on that I want to see, but other than that, I'm not a huge fan of the format.

When I flipped to Oprah, she was talking about surprising a woman in the audience. It looked interesting, so I continued to watch. Turns out, Oprah was introducing her latest choice of reading for her book club. She described a book that kept her up two nights in a row because she couldn't put it down. She said the staff would come in and ask what page each were on so they could discuss what they'd read. She made this book out to sound really incredible. The fact the book was non-fiction and about the author's own experiences added to my interest. And, the woman in the audience Oprah was surprising? It turned out to be the mother of the author of the book.

I was sold. I would join millions of others going out to buy a book because Oprah said so lol.

I went to search for the book on Amazon and quickly found it. I was pretty surprised to learn what exactly the author's experiences involved; what the book was about. It just didn't "fit" my idea of a book that would interest Oprah, much less her demographic.

I ordered A Million Little Pieces. While there, I decided to search for a CD I've been wanting, but never can find in any music stores. I found it and also ordered Mahalia Jackson's CD - 16 Most Requested Songs.

If you've never heard Mahalia Jackson, you're missing out. You don't have to be a huge Gospel fan to enjoy her music. She really just touches your soul and it's rare for people to hear her music and not get goose bumps - she's that talented.

So, that's the story for today. Just looking forward to my new CD and the book to arrive...

And if anyone else is planning on reading the book and would like to discuss it between blogs - let me know! It might be fun...

Return To Top

3 Comments:

  • Shannon. Thanks for commenting on my Blog. I am glad to hear your words. Very honest and extremely meaningful. I really believe 80% (at the very least) of our county believe and think the way you do- we do. Thanks for your support.

    In regards to her being anti-American.. you don't this she is being anti-American calling the terrorists freedom fighters, The U.S. government a "morally repugnant system.". "We began the killing as soon as we stepped foot on these shores and the killing has gone on unabated for over 200 years". That so hurtful to America. Thats why I feel being anti-American.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 9/26/2005 4:11 PM  

  • I completely agree with you. I had several more comments to make when I was responding on your blog. However, I ran out of time since I had to start supper and had to cut my comments short unfortunately. So, I didn't get to say everything I wanted to say :(.

    If you'll scroll down here a bit, you'll see a post about the "freedom fighters" and also, right after it, a pretty long one regarding Sheehan and her rogue followers.

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I have really enjoyed your blog since I found it and make it a daily read now.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 9/26/2005 7:33 PM  

  • Hi there
    I was out blogging and came across this one. A very fine written piece of work.

    Thanks for the great reading
    kennedy halves

    By Anonymous coin collecting, at 1/25/2006 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home