The Deployment Diary

Monday, May 16, 2005

The Military Spouse Curse Strikes Again

The Military Spouse Curse is just another aspect of military life. I expect something negative to happen every time my husband leaves for longer than 48 hours. Unfortunately, this time was no different.

The week prior to him leaving both babies were sick. As I mentioned earlier this week, daughter went to the Urgent Care Clinic Tuesday night. Well, Saturday evening, the last night my husband was home, I had to take our son up there. He also had the horrible cough that would cause him to cough so hard he'd get sick to his tummy. Thankfully on this trip to the UCC, we were in and out in two hours, not nearly six hours like when we took our daughter. Turns out his cough was masking ear infections in both ears and an extremely red throat. He'd only complained that his throat hurt when he coughed... We left with an antibiotic and some cough medicine.

At any rate, I thought - whew, got the sicknesses out of the way while he was still home. Usually, sickness waits until he's gone where I'm left alone trying to change puked on sheets in the middle of the night and console a crying child who is so sick and miserable lol.


Needless to say, I was under a false sense of security thinking I'd finally make it through one separation without the curse. I had made so many plans for the two weeks he was gone. I wanted to tackle the back hall by stripping all the woodwork back there, ripping out the closet and the linoleum and refinishing the floor. I also wanted to get the kitchen cabinets painted and the new molding added. If I still had time before he got home, I'd planned to build these flower boxes that would go in the center of each section of our picket fence. SO many plans...so little time.

So, yesterday evening I decided I'd better give Mother a call. I wanted to talk to her, but I also needed to give her updates on the babies. The last time we talked, she knew daughter had been to the doc, but didn't know that our son had gone a few days later.

We talk for a while and I give her all the updates on the babies. Then, little guy starts coughing - and coughing hard. I tell him to go to the bathroom in case he's going to get sick. I'm planning on following him of course. As I'm getting out of the chair, I hear him start to throw up, so I jump up and start off fast for the bathroom. Well, there's this children's wooden rocker that sits to the left of the fireplace. I guess one of the babies or one of the dogs bumped it at some point yesterday and pushed it about half a foot forward from its usually resting spot. In my hurry to the bathroom, I didn't notice, but my foot sure did.

BAM!! Crack...

With Mother still on the phone, I yell out a wordy durd. Ok, so I yelled out several. OMGosh I saw stars...

I knew from the crack I broke at least one toe. It was quite evident when I finally got over the initial impact that it was broken because I couldn't move it. When I tried to walk, I was in a lot of pain. So, after hobbling around while getting the babies to bed, I put some ice in a Ziploc bag, wrapped it in a wash-rag and iced my toes for most of the night.

This morning, I'm pretty sure it's only one broken toe - the next to last toe on my left foot. It's almost triple the size it normally is and from below the toenail, down the right side of the toe and around to the back, it's a beautiful black, deep red and purple lol.

I knew better than to try to put shoes on this morning to take daughter to school. So, I thought I'd put my soft purple fuzzy slippers on. Oh no, not happening. Even my fuzzy slippers were out of the question. Needless to say, I've sat around most of the day with no shoes on and my foot propped up. So much for getting a lot of stuff done around here :(.

And as luck would have it, the curse wasn't done with me yet.

This afternoon, I started not feeling too well. My throat started to hurt, I noticed I had a fever not long after that - and then I started coughing. The coughing hurt in my chest and out of nowhere I'm congested. I guess now I'm going to catch whatever it is that the babies' little immune systems have been trying to fight off for over a week.

Now, my toe not only hurts, I feel like crap too lol. Darn curse...I hope this is THE grande finale for this separation. Please, three is NOT a charm lol.

Return To Top

4 Comments:

  • ok, now you REALLY need a vacation.

    Put up the kiddie gates, stay in bed as long as you can... lots of liquids... wrap the bad toe to the good toe next to it to keep it a little immobile (nature's splint). Then remember what a great chapter this will make for your book.. LOL

    Hope you feel better soon...

    By Blogger Some Soldier's Mom, at 5/17/2005 10:52 AM  

  • I did the same thing last summer. hubby had been gone about 4 months and I broke my ankle tripping up the front steps! lol please take care and stay off of it as much as your children allow. hope you feel better soon!

    By Blogger Umhakima, at 5/17/2005 7:08 PM  

  • Oh thank you both so much! I've been staying off it as much as possible. I'll try taping it up and see if that helps.

    Daughter looked at it up close this afternoon and said, "you know, that red part is actually a pretty color..."

    So, if nothing else, the colors are pretty lol!!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 5/18/2005 1:09 AM  

  • I hope you and the babies are better.

    Hugs

    By Blogger Gail, at 5/21/2005 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home