The Deployment Diary

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Gay Marriage

This really isn't a topic that I have a strong position on. I can see both sides of the issue. On the one hand, I believe marriage should be protected and remain as is - a religious and legal institution between a man and woman. On the other hand, I can understand how gay couples would want certain legal rights when they build a life with their partner - not to mention the emotional aspect of being legally connected to the one you love.

And yes, I'm a Christian. So, I am part of one of the religious groups who vehemently oppose gay marriage. However, as a Christian, I feel my religion tells me that God judges people and their actions and we, as his followers, should not. I'm human though and I'm not always successful at not judging. I do try not to and when I catch myself, I stop - or at least try lol. I sometimes find it hard. For instance, when walking through the mall and seeing the fashion statements some folks are making and thinking, "ewww, how the heck did you look in the mirror and think DAMN I look GOOD!" wearing that contraption lol. Like I said, I'm human lol.

Do I agree with the gay lifestyle? No. As a heterosexual, I find it extremely hard to understand how a woman or a man can look at someone their same gender and be attracted to them, much less intimate. I would imagine homosexuals feel the same way about straight folks too though. My position is, what you do in your bedroom is your business. I don't want or need to know just like what goes on in my bedroom is not anyone else's business but mine and my husband's.

The point to all this is I just happened upon this extremely interesting blog entry about the gay marriage debate. I'm not even sure what blog I followed to get to this one. A really, really, really long post about gay marriage that does not, in the end, support one side or the other is well worth the read, no matter what side of this issue you are on.

My only request is that people try to be a leeetle more humble about their ability to imagine the subtle results of big policy changes. The argument that gay marriage will not change the institution of marriage because you can't imagine it changing your personal reaction is pretty arrogant. It imagines, first of all, that your behavior is a guide for the behavior of everyone else in society, when in fact, as you may have noticed, all sorts of different people react to all sorts of different things in all sorts of different ways, which is why we have to have elections and stuff. And second, the unwavering belief that the only reason that marriage, always and everywhere, is a male-female institution (I exclude rare ritual behaviors), is just some sort of bizarre historical coincidence, and that you know better, needs examining.


I'm interested in what you think about this article. Personally, I found the history she used as examples to be very thought provoking...

Return To Top

2 Comments:

  • Yeah, I read the article too. I actually sent it to my boyfriend too. I am a libertarian, so it was really thought-provoking for me. And I do believe that change always starts on the fringes of something. So even if something is marginal...it might not stay that way. I thought she wrote a great piece.

    By Blogger CaliValleyGirl, at 5/05/2005 12:24 PM  

  • Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
    you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
    zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
    a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

    By Blogger TS, at 10/02/2005 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home