The Deployment Diary

Sunday, August 08, 2004

Day 329 - Saturday's Attack of the Spiders

So today I didn't do much. Due to medication I take and my medical issues, it messes with my tummy. I love how you take one medication to do one thing and then another medication to thwart side-effects of the first medication lol. One of my medications causes nausea so I take another medication to keep from being sick all the time. I feel like at times I have a pharmacy going on in my home. Another side effect is not being able to go - so when it gets really bad, I have to take something to fix that problem and considering the problems my belly has that causes the need for medication to begin with - the pain when taking something to get you going again is unbelievable. Last night before bed I took the little chocolate square that I honestly believe could be used as a torture device lol . I knew today would be a day of fun in the bathroom, with cold sweats and not knowing if I was going to throw up, go poop or both. Yep, guessing about now you're really glad you clicked on this blog to read lol. So today was spent on the couch with a cold rag and the air conditioner going full blast because when I hurt that bad, being even a little on the warm side makes me feel nauseous. Sunday was a total bust concerning doing anything productive around here. I woke up and felt ok - thought hmm, maybe I won't have the horrible cramps I usually get when I take the chocolate torture device. I made some coffee, sat down at the computer and within twenty minutes knew I was in for the day from hell. The rest of the day was spent in the bathroom and on the couch and I have a ton of stuff to do around here. I hate my body.

Yesterday, I did get the porch cleaned and all the new flowers I purchased planted. The porch was a complete and total nightmare. I took everything off the porch - the wicker, the plant stands with the ferns, the tables etc. I washed all the cushions on the wicker and repotted the flowers I'd bought at the commissary to put on the wicker tables. Then it came time to actually clean the porch. For the past six months or so, we've been parking on the side of the house and coming in the back door. I check the mail after the babies go to bed, so it's dark and I hadn't noticed how bad the spider webs had taken over everything out front :(. I think I've mention how much I detest spiders in another entry lol.

I get the broom and start knocking down cobwebs above the windows and in between the columns on the porch. I noticed a spider here or there, but nothing major. Little did I know that scream-fest that was upcoming lol.

I get the hose out to wash all the dirt off of everything. It's the one bad thing about this town, it just seems to be really dusty here. So, I start on the big window to the right of the front door. I spray and to my horror, about 10 spiders come out of tiny cracks in between the ceiling's boards. I stop spraying, run inside and grab some hornet spray. It has the long stream so you can be several feet away. I had regular ant/spider spray, but the thought of having to stand on a chair to get close enough to spray was not appealing to me lol.

Once I sprayed the hornet spray, what I saw next had me let out a scream and run off the porch lol. I'm sure my neighbors are quite certain that I've lost my mind. I sprayed the bug spray and twenty to thirty spiders ran out of their hiding spots, would lose their bearings and hang down on a single thread of web and blow in the wind. It honestly looked like something out of a horror movie! Just thinking about it now makes me feel as though I have bugs crawling on me.

I've now figured out why we've seen more spiders in the house...our front porch was infested! Two of my neighbors ventured over after I had almost finished. They said they've noticed more spiders around their homes too this year. After talking, we all pretty much concluded it was due to the mild summer we've had. We have had several weeks of 100 degree temps, but they've been spread out through the summer. We've had a lot of spring and fall-like days throughout the summer. When husband called, he said, "Now you see why I knock down spider webs and clean off the porch each week." I said no, you do that because you are obsessive compulsive, but nice try lol.

Anyhow, back to the spiders. To make a very long story short, 6 cans of hornet spray and two trips to the local grocery to buy more - and I think I have most of the spider problem taken care of. My gosh I've never seen so many spiders in my life! They ranged from the size of a quarter (legs and all) to tiny baby spiders (lots and lots of babies *shivers*). Each time I sprayed twenty to thirty came out of their hiding spots. I'd say all in all I probably killed 160+ spiders by the time I finished the entire porch. Whew, I'm so glad to have this done.

Tomorrow, my friend and I are heading out to the big town about thirty minutes from here. We'll be buying all the things we need to do our welcome home signs. She also knows of a great place to eat, so we're going to eat lunch together while we're out. It should be a fun day.

Tuesday, I start busting my rear around here. I cannot believe what a lazy bum I've turned into these days :(. All I can do is sit around and be in this odd sort of daze thinking about how different it is going to be to finally have him home and us be a inside-the-same-home family again! I'm really perplexed about my reaction to his return. I try to imagine what it will be like to have him home, see him walking around the house - see him coming through the front door after work and I just can't. I'm so used to living alone and being such a loner. The thought of not being alone anymore - well, it truly just doesn't seem real to me. I guess it's not really that odd. I have a tendency to do this before we go on a vacation or before family comes to visit. I'll not be bouncing off the walls like I think I should be - it's like a defense mechanism I guess - where in case something comes up and we can't go on vacation or something happens and family can't come visit after all, I don't get upset about the change in plans. Then, when we return from vacation or after our family leaves - I look back and wonder how in the world I wasn't just beside myself with excitement prior to it happening.

At any rate, I won't be around much next week. I'm determined to get what I need to get done around the house and yard and be completely finished by Friday. Then maybe over the weekend, focus on finishing up the dining room or something. The week after, the babies and I plan to go to the pool every day. I don't expect to be online much over the next several weeks so the babies and I can spend a lot of time at the pool and the park before school starts.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Return To Top

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home