The Deployment Diary

Monday, June 28, 2004

Day 288 - The Transfer Of Power

I woke up this morning feeling like I'd worked out the day before or something. My legs are sore, my arms, back and shoulders. I went to get up and could hardly move anything I was so "stove up" as my grandmother would have called it. I didn't do anything yesterday, so the only thing I can think of is during my sleep I stayed tense. When I tensed up my muscles earlier, everything that hurts was what was involved in the tensing up lol (does that even make sense?), so I must have had some nightmares last night or something that kept my entire body clenched. Gosh I've never woken up sore in the morning when I hadn't done anything to become sore :(.

Anyhow, my husband called last night and we were able to talk for over an hour! I love that he's willing to get up so early and get to the phones when no one else is in line so we can talk without having to hurry. We had a great conversation too. He mentioned the transfer of power and I told him, "I don't know why they don't go ahead and do it now. I read last week that they'd transferred the last of the government agencies, so I don't know what they are waiting for."

I hobble to my desk this morning to check my email. I always read my email before I start making my rounds on my favorite blogs and news sites. Within his email he said:
They handed the country over to the Iraqis today instead of the 30th, now we just wait and see what happens.

I had to read it twice to make sure my tired eyes were really seeing that!

This Administration once again has done the right thing at the right time. It just plain makes sense. As I had mentioned to my husband, everything was already being controlled by Iraqis, as this AP article pointed out also:
U.S., U.K. Hail Transfer of Power to Iraq

Last Thursday, the U.S.-led coalition transferred the final 11 of the 26 government ministries to full Iraqi control, meaning Iraqis were already handling the day-to-day operations of the interim administration.
Why allow the terrorists more time to get news coverage of their attacks under headline after headline of, "As the Transfer of Power Quickly Approaches, Insurgents Increase Attacks." Take the coverage away from them. The transfer of power is now behind us and instead of fighting the coalition, the terrorists will now be fighting the very people they say they are fighting for in the first place.

Two thumbs up for the coalition. Smart move. Now, I guess we must wait to see what those who just had defeat handed to them on a silver platter do next. I can imagine some morale problems are going on right about now within the terrorists' groups. Defeated and done so without a bullet being fired.

One more battle in this war has been won. If only Americans will have the backbone to see this through so we will eventually win the entire war...

Return To Top

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home