The Deployment Diary

Friday, May 28, 2004

Day 261 - My Father-in-Law

My father-in-law is good friends with a congressman from my husband's home state. Soon after my husband deployed, the congressman had a flag flown in Washington in my husband's honor.

My father-in-law called earlier this week to let me know that the flag is in a package he's mailed and should be here on Friday. Along with the flag, there is a certificate that says the flag was flown in his honor and a display box.

My father-in-law said he'd put some Tasty Cakes in there for us (if you don't know what these are, they are similar to Little Debbie snacks and soooo good). He said he also put a small something or another in the package for each grandbaby - and a small something for me.

He said, "I'm afraid during all of this we've forgotten about you and I want to tell you how sorry I am for that."

I told him nothing could be further from the truth! He calls to check in on us often, he emails to see how we are - he's been extremely thoughtful of me and my feelings. I told him he's been wonderful and I hope he knows how much I love him. I think he got a little chocked up. I do love him dearly.

We've never lived close to my husband's home state to visit his family regularly. Through the years, he's come for short visits, but we've never had the opportunity establish a close relationship. One of the positives of this year is that I've had the opportunity to get to know him better. He's had the opportunity to get to know me apart from his son. We've had so many wonderful conversations - everything from politics to raising children and many conversations about how wonderful and loved his son is. Conversations we may not have had without this experience bringing us closer.

I feel truly blessed for having such a loving father-in-law. He raised a magnificent man and has much to be proud of.

We love you Pop.

Return To Top

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home