The Deployment Diary

Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Day 210 - And So it Begins...

It appears our leaders have decided that trying to extend the hand of friendship and being careful not to offend those who hate us is not working. The insurgents and terrorists and radical clerics just haven't felt the love. From a civilian watching and reading, it seems to me that last week's Fallujah incident was the straw on the camel's back. The incident has persuaded leaders who needed to be persuaded that those responsible for all the deaths and violence since last May understand only one thing - brute force. Again, to this civilian, it appears our leaders will finally allow our armed forces do what they do best - WIN wars. Finally...

On the Home Front....
Communication is cut. The rumors are either it's due to casualties or for OPSEC (Operational Security). Personally, I'd imagine it's probably both.

I talked to one of my friends in the FRG this morning. We both agree that regardless of the reason, if it keeps our loved ones safe, that's all that matters. Too many idiots who like to share information for no other reason than to appear to those back home that they are important - and "prove" they are by sharing information that could jeopardize the lives of their fellow soldiers. I've lived through almost four months of not hearing my husband's voice. I can make it again without being able to talk to him. I can make it through anything as long as he's ok - he's still on this earth somewhere....

Please keep those in Iraq in your prayers. Please pray for their families too. It can be completely overwhelming to keep up with the news, learn of deaths in your loved one's battalion and wait in fear to find out if your life and the lives of your children have just been destroyed.

Thank You to Fellow Bloggers...
I am, of course, keeping my eyes on all the news coming out of the Sunni Triangle. I'm also following the happenings of our pursuit of Sadr. For months now, I have wondered what consequences must be keeping the coalition from removing him from public view either by way of death or incarceration. I have tried to understand what fire it may fuel if we removed him, instead of allowing myself to become irritated that we were not taking steps to quiet the idiot.

So a very special thanks to Mike of Bunker Mulligan for recommending that I visit Belmont Club's website. I felt so much better after reading the analysis provided there. I feel as though I have a better understanding of what is happening and why. I can take the information that Wretchard has shared and use it to evaluate the news articles - especially those articles that insinuate we are staying outside Fallujah due to the inability to go in, not a strategic plan to win the battle.

Thank you Mike. I appreciate your taking the time to point me to detailed information. And thank you Wretchard for the valuable analysis you are providing those of us who are not well versed in the military planning and execution of dangerous operations. I can tell the world about the emotional aspects of military life on the families. However, as a civilian, the professional side of my husband's job is not my strong point and the ignorance adds to my fear from not understanding why something is being done and seeing the big picture. Truly, thank you for helping us understand the happenings. Due to your analysis, I'm able to follow the news reports equipped with my own weapon - knowledge. Thank you.

Return To Top

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home