The Deployment Diary

Saturday, March 20, 2004

A Year Ago...

A year ago we started the bombing of Iraq.

We were watching the news together every night after Bush gave Saddam and his sons 48 hours to leave Iraq. My husband had gone to the gas station to get gas in his car and pick us up some M & Ms and sodas to snack on. One of those nights where we wanted something sweet, but had nothing in the house to munch on.

He was gone less than five minutes when Fox started showing the first bombs dropping around Baghdad. I called his cell and the darn thing rang in the kitchen lol.

It seemed like he was gone forever and FINALLY he pulled back up in front of the house. I went out on the porch and hugged him, kissed him on the cheek and told him how thankful I was he was home. Then, as we walked back in the house, I told him the bombs were falling. I don't remember us talking really, just watching the coverage.

I didn't sleep much that night. When we finally went to bed, I just watched him sleep and listened to him breathe. So thankful I could look at him and see that he was ok. I knew so many other spouses were in front of the TV at that moment worried about where their loved one was, what they were doing, if they were ok. I felt truly blessed I could have my hand on my husband's back with him peacefully sleeping in his own bed and there be no question he was safe.

Return To Top

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home