The Deployment Diary

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Day 197

Sorry for being absent. It's been a rough few days.

First off, I'm trying to finish this darn job. Now, in my defense, I did try to get out of it. I just did not want the added stress. I did a site for them starting in October of last year and it was not finished until right before Christmas. They said later on, they'd want me to do another site for their new publication. To my horror, later on was January. I tried to politely decline, but they wanted this one set up like the other and were SURE no other person could do it like I could. In all honesty: no one else would do it for such a low price and not flee the project mid-way through when their 4,000th change came in at the last minute.

So, since Saturday I've been up until 3 or 3:30 a.m. every night working. Thankfully, it's spring break so I can sleep until 8 the next morning. My peepers - they just don't want to stay open. I worked from 8 this morning until about an hour ago (around 1-ish a.m.). I'm beat.

Sunday morning I got my regular email from my husband saying, "I'll talk to you at our regular time tonight."

I got to a good stopping place around 730 Sunday night. By 10 pm when the phone still hadn't rang, I knew it wasn't going to. I figured he got busy or the phones were down. No need to worry. I'd get an email explaining Monday morning.

Monday morning and all day Monday - no email. When I got the 75 emails that morning (one of which is to me, the rest is spam which is a gripe for another day) and an email from him wasn't among them, a twinge of worry caught me.

I check the news. More bad news from overnight. Now I worry a bit more.

By six that evening, I was really worried. My mind said there was a reasonable explanation, but my worry side just couldn't keep quiet. I emailed him a nice email telling him how much I missed him and loved him. Just had to tell him right then. What if...

I get back to work fighting with a stupid poll and saying ugly words under my breath. I guess I could have yelled them - the babies were in bed by then. Probably would have felt better.

Out of the blue, the cell phone rings. I figure it's my cousin who is having a problem with his mySQL database and wants my help. Instead, the phone says UNAVAILABLE - and that's usually my husband.

Heart is pounding, I'm so thankful he's calling - and in a second as I pick up the phone I'm thinking, if this my MIL with some phone card I'm going to let her have it. I answer and there's that familiar sound that those of you who talk to someone on the other side of the world understand ;). It's HIM!!!

He says, "Hey baby. Are you ok? I'm sorry I couldn't call."

Am I OK? I'm sitting here in our house, cussing a poll - you're in a war zone and you're asking if I'm ok?

Yeah, ok, he knows me too well ;). I tell him there's nothing to be sorry for. I'm just glad he's calling and I'm getting to hear his voice. He tells me about the phones being down. He thought it was just their tent so he went to the other company's phone bank and they were down too. So, he went to the computer tent to email and let me know. That's when they told him two Marines had been killed and communication was cut. Yeah, cause we all here in the middle of America are hanging out with those Marine wives in CA (rolling eyes).

Anyhow, I had to get teary on the phone telling him how much I love and miss him. I told him I was just so darned tired and thankfully he knows when I'm overly tired I get teary over everything. Especially after worrying and finding out he's ok lol. I just couldn't help to get emotional...it was so good to hear his voice!

It was a good conversation. They always are. I'm just so glad he's ok.

And, in another week we'll hit month seven. Something we talked about on the phone and were both thrilled that now we are completely over that hump!

The weather is beautiful here. I had my windows open until 8 pm! I only closed them because the wind started blowing so hard it knocked over my new lamp. I'm taking tomorrow off. It's spring break and the babies and I are going to spend the day in the yard! They waited the entire month of March to send me the stuff I needed to get this project finished. They still have more to send me. So, they can wait on me for a day while I spend some quality time with my babies and get the heck out of this house. I'm beyond cabin fever!

Hope everyone is having a good week! Wednesday is already here. I can't believe it!

Return To Top

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home